Earthy, chocolatey and heavenly.
This easy to prepare Cocoa-nut Apple Bircher Muesli is best made the night before so it’s perfect for those who never have time to make breakfast in the mornings.
I love bircher muesli. I like walking into the kitchen in the morning knowing that breakfast has been working it’s magic all night long and I didn’t have to lift a finger. This is particularly handy for me seeing as making breakfast is usually my job in the mornings. To me it’s the summer version of porridge (which I love also) but it doesn’t stop me from eating it all year round.
Since summer has clearly left us and we’re now approaching winter, I’ve given this bircher muesli a slight winter touch with the addition of earthy flavours (cocoa, ginger and cinnamon). Grated apple and honey are added for sweetness and a hint of coconut combines with these flavours perfectly.
I can assure you that your taste buds will thank you for making this – it has chocolate in it after all. And because the oats are soaked overnight, they are a lot easier to digest and all the flavours are greatly enhanced.
If you’ve never tried bircher muesli before, this would be a great recipe to start with. I often make a big batch which lasts several days. That way I save time and Kevin thinks I’m so good to him for ‘making breakfast every morning’. Don’t tell him that I’m cheating.
Either top with flakes of untoasted coconut –
..or toasted coconut
…and if mornings are too busy to eat breakfast, you can simply spoon a desired portion of the mixture into a mason jar/container ready for you to take on the run.
Did I mention that kids will love this also? They’ll think they’re getting an uber treat because it’s something chocolatey for breakfast, and as a parent, you can rest assured knowing that they getting a lot of nutrients and fiber – it’s a win-win.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- *2 cups milk (I particularly like coconut or almond but you can use cow, soy or any other milk of your choice).
- 1 grated apple (or pear)
- Honey to taste (optional)
- 1. Mix together the dry ingredients until well combined in a large bowl.
- 2. Add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- 3. Spoon mixture into mason jars or any container with a lid and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or best it to leave it overnight.
- 4. Top with flaked coconut, yoghurt and a drizzle of honey (or any other desired topping).
- * Add more milk to get desired consistency.
- * If you are need of something hot, this bircher muesli is also delicious when heated in a pan/microwave.